Monday, October 09, 2006

1. My real name is not Belle Etoile, but rather Katie. That's not actually my real name either, but it is the one that I answer to. So in that sense, it is real.

2. I believe there are only two ways out of this life. One way is to go out knowing the love and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the other way is to not.

3. I believe that I do know His love and sacrifice, even if I don't act like it sometimes.

4. I was born at home, in Cordova, AK, at 6:33 a.m. June 8, 1981. I've been a "morning person" ever since.

5. I'm a vegetarian at heart. I do eat meat occasionally, but when it's up to me to cook something, I rarely think of any meat dishes.

6. My favorite breakfast food is stone-ground oats - or oat groats - with cream or plain yoghurt, toasted pecans and real maple syrup.

7. I have 4 sisters and two brothers.

8. I am the fifth child born to my parents.

9. I cherish the relationship I have with each of my brothers and sisters, and my mom and dad.

10. When me and my brother Gregory were about 11 and 7, respectively, we created 3 secret passwords that, to this day, I have never told a single soul. (And last time I asked him, he hadn't either.)

11. 90% of the friends I had growing up were Christians. I myself didn't ask the Lord into my heart until a week after my 22nd birthday. I was baptized in December of the same year by Isaac's dad, Fred.

12. I love Isaac's family. They've welcomed me with wide open arms, and have never made me feel like I don't belong.

13. I have one child, Sophia, and would love to be blessed with a few more.

14. My favorite children's movie is "Matilda", and I also love that name.

15. I did an exchange year in Berlin, Germany the year after I graduated from high school.

16. If I could spend another exchange year anywhere in the whole world it would be Italy.

17. As a kid, I really wanted to be a housekeeper when I grew up. I told my stepmom Cheryl this, and she suggested that I aim a little higher. :)

18. I don't know my own height. I've gotten different measurements from different health professionals... Somewhere between 5' 7'' and 5' 9''.

19. I like to brag that I enjoy eating all fruits and vegetables, but I kinda don't like stewed tomatoes.

20. I'm good at remembering numbers, including phone, social security (watch out!), how many kcals per gram of fat, etc.

21. I couldn't remember the name of a famous actor or actress - or name a movie I watched last night for that matter - to save my own life.

22. My favorite treat of all time is hot chocolate - made with real chocolate, real sugar, and real milk (and occasionally with cayenne pepper or cinnamon added).

23. My maiden name, Knapp, is a German phrase that in English means "close one". As in, "I almost spilled my hot chocolate all over my scrapbooking materials - man that was a close one!"

24. Despite popular belief, I am only fluent in two (2) languages: German and English.

25. I can undertand and speak some Spanish and French (but I'm extremely limited, let me assure you in case you ever want me to "show off" my talents in these languages).

26. I have been to Canada, Costa Rica, England, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Switzerland, and Austria.

27. I really love chocolate.

28. I prefer dark over milk chocolate.

29. I love my husband more than anything in the world, including chocolate. :)

30. I first heard about him when I was 10 years old.

31. I was 21 when we first met.

32. I know he's the kindest, gentlest, best-looking man I have ever met, and I couldn't ever have imagined that I would ever adore someone as much as I adore him.

33. I love tulips (that's the first ever kind of flower Isaac ever brought me).

34. My favorite color is deep red.

35. One of my favorite authors is Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., although every time I start of one his books I always think, "This guy is so weird!" - but I always end up loving the book.

36. I love Audrey Hepburn movies.

37. One of my favorite things to do in 8th and 9th grade was to visit my mom and stay up late watching old movies, especially ones with Hepburn.

38. On more than one occasion, I've managed to eat an entire watermelon in less than 24 hours. (And I'm not talking about one of those dulcineas either.)

39. Last summer I let Sophia completely ruin her appetite while sharing a watermelon with her mama.

40. If I could ever own another dog, I would probably choose to own another Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

41. I don't like cats, in general, but occasionally I'll meet a cool one.

42. Mostly it's because I find cats to be so wishy-washy. They don't want to be touched half the time, and the other half they're practically giving you a new fur coat as they rub their body all over you, begging to have their belly scratched.

43. I am terribly, horribly scared of hornets and wasps.

44. I've been stung at least 15 times in my life, all on separate occasions.

45. I was once stung on the tip of my middle finger by a black wasp with some sort of red marking on it's rear. It hurt more than any of the other stings.

46. I've only stayed in a hospital once: after I gave birth to Sophia.

47. I loved being pregnant (for the most part), but I thought the labor and birth thing was horrible.

48. One of the things I loved most about being pregnant was not having to "suck in".

49. One of the things I didn't like was the sciatic nerve pain - ouch!

50. I think maternity clothes are the cutest and most comfortable clothes out there, and they should make regular clothes more like them.

51. Having Sophia in my life has changed me into a better person.

52. I am more at ease with myself than I ever was before she was born.

53. I love her like I love no one else.

54. In 3 1/2 months I'll be vested with my union.

55. Then I'll be that much closer to being with her 24/7.

55. I'm a working mom.

56. Sometimes I wish I lived in a place where I could where pretty shoes outside for more than 2 weeks a year.

57. I attend a Baptist church.

58. I married the son of a preacher.

60. I live in a small town in Southcentral Alaska.

61. I love to be outside...

62. ...to hike and walk and enjoy good conversation.

63. I love to sit around a camp fire drinking good beer...

64. ...and chatting with good friends.

65. I love to swim outside - in lakes and rivers.

66. I once took a roadtrip from Anchorage to San Francisco...

67. ...and I swam in every body of water we stopped by.

68. Some day I'd like to learn how to use a sewing maching...

69. ...to quilt...

70. ...and to make my own clothes.

71. I own property about 300 miles from here (where I grew up)...

72. ...and someday I'd like to build my own house there.

73. In the first 20 years of my life, I lived 10 of them without electricity.

74. The smallest place I ever lived in was a 10 x 20 cabin w/loft with my dad, stepmom, little sister and little brother.

75. The farthest distance I've ever run was 13 miles.

76. Some day I'd like to run a marathon.

77. I enjoy reading articles from Heather Lende...

78. ...and Catherine Newman.

79. I always cry (and my husband can vouch for this) at the end of every single Heather Lende article I read.

80. I always laugh (and the guys at my work can vouch for this) at some point during every single Catherine Newman article I read.

81. I take movies extremely seriously. Mostly sad ones that make me bawl uncontrollably. Like Dancer in the Dark.

82. Isaac says I cry from movies so that I don't have to cry about "real life".

83. When I first moved to Valdez for my job, I lived in a place called "Mancamp" (just the name sounds scary, eh?).

84. I work with all men.

85. I love giving them updates on my baby girl.

86. I came to work on a 10-week-call - that was 3 1/2 years ago.

87. When I was in college (full-time) I cleaned houses and greased equipment for my spending money.

88. I am an Operating Engineer.

89. I still attend college, but only 1 class per semester.

90. When I work, I get up at 4:30, when I don't, it's more like 9:00 (or however long Sophia lets me sleep :) ).

91. But I really, truly am a morning person.

92. I fell best when I sleep 9 hours per night.

93. I love Thai food, especially Thai tea and anything curry.

94. I love Indian food, too.

95. I think my husband has the most beautiful voice in the world, and I love when he sits on the couch and strums away on his guitar.

96. I wish he let more people hear it, but I'm kind of glad he saves it for me.

97. I'm teaching my daughter German.

98. But, more importantly, I hope that I can teach her to love the Lord.

99. I hope that her dad and I can give her a good example of that.

100. She just walked over and gave me a kiss - I can think of few things better.



















9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I love your new blog. I might just have to copy you-tee he he.

October 16, 2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Tater said...

Katie...this is the most beautiful blog I have ever read. As you listed things from our lives growing up, it touched my heart and showed me again how lucky we are to have God bless us, and he did so much. I treasure the relationships I have with my brother's and sister's and cannot imagine a life without all of you in it.

October 19, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

That is a great idea for a blog...It was very interesting, I agree, going through labor, was not fun, but maternity clothes are super cute!!!

October 23, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

101: You're hilarious.
102: You have perfect skin.
103: You'd hike in a skirt if that's what you were wearing when you saw a mountain.
104: You used to have a chihuahua.
105: When I say scrap, you say book.
106: One piece of chocolate or glass of juice can fill you up.
107: People want to be around you.
108: You prefer catch with a softball over a baseball.
109: You'll play catch anywhere.
110: You have my heart.

November 08, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 09, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very sweet Ike.
111. You're great at "Pick your Scrabs"
112. You are a fabulous wife and mommy
113. You're a great sister in law
114. You do Sudoku in pen-brat
115. You secretly long to move to N. Cal to be closer to me-lol

November 09, 2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Oh my goodness - tears in my eyes.
116. You are a precious gift to our family. 117. You have captured my heart. 118. You are a wonderful mother, a good mother, a sacrificing mother. 119. You are a great example of a life changed because of Jesus. 120. You encourage me to be more than a mother-in-law, a friend.

November 10, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

p.s. there are ways to measure your height! Ike? Can you help out here?

November 10, 2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Staci said...

121. You have a special way of gently reminding people what's important in life (like taking the time to make REAL gingerbread!)

122. You are very easy to talk to. You always make me feel like your listening, though I KNOW I blab!

123. You have a great home - just the perfect mix of class, homemade love, and toys. Never forget the toys.

124. You can be really funny and goofy. I never expected that when I first met you!

125.. You have a daughter that is so fabulous... I hope that you both (and Isaac, too) are in Kailyn and I's lives for many, many years.

December 21, 2006 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home