Friday, February 23, 2007

Getting Ready for the Party

Photo courtesty of the Sun-Sentinel.

Ever since she turned one, I've thought about making a doll cake for Sophia for her second birthday. And although I don't expect myself to create something anywhere close to the cakes in the above picture, I do have high hopes for the one I plan on making for her in just over a week.

Up until about 10 minutes ago, I've been wondering how I'm going to pull this off. What, with working up until her birthday, I didn't know if I'd have time to make a doll cake "traditional style". All of the recipes I've found so far describe using 2 round cake pans, stacking the cakes once baked, covering them in wax paper, freezing them, and cutting the cake to form the shape of a skirt. Whew...makes me tired just thinking about it. Luckily, though, I was able to attend a Pampered Chef party with Coolskool a few years ago and learned that they actually sell a batter bowl that is oven safe and the perfect shape for making doll cakes. I put up an ad on the trading post here at work earlier this morning, asking if anyone in my area had one I could borrow. Would you know that I immediately got 3 responses from people? So on Monday, I will have a borrowed Pampered Chef batter bowl with which I can attempt this whole doll cake project. I will post pictures once completed, no matter how it turns out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see it. I'm sure you will do a fabulous job. As I was reading I instantly thought of the batter bowl. I'm glad you found one.

February 23, 2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Would you believe on my 7th birthday an auntie made me a doll cake just like the one in the picture--I'll show you a pix one day. I LOVED it--it was my absolute favorite ever. I'm so proud of you and your skill to even try!

March 03, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

I had one for my 7th birthday too!, If i had a scanner I would scan the picture of it and post it for you, but I don't. I am glad you found a batter bowl or I could have mailed you mine. You will need to buy a cheap dollar store barbie doll, as a real one is too big and you have to take off the legs. I am sure your cake will look fabulous your so industrious in the kitchen.

March 03, 2007 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home